Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Habemus Papam!

The bell that carried the message of Pope John Paul II's passing signalled the election of a new pope yesterday. Cardinal Ratzinger was chosen to lead the billion-strong Catholic church. At 1230am today my brother woke me up to excitedly say the news. I rushed to my parents' bedroom still sleepy-eyed but determined to watch. I thought I missed everything that happened but at that time the only fact was that a new pope has been elected as symbolized by the smoke. When they announced Cardinal Ratzinger's name and he came out from behind the red curtains, I got teary-eyed again.

I stayed up until around 230am to watch CNN. While I was watching I was also texting friends. One friend observed that I was really "into" this event and how strongly I felt about it. I said yes. As part of the church I should be affected by what is happening and that as a member I should do my part to defend it. I feel bad and disappointed whenever I hear interviews about Pope Benedict and his being ultra conservative. I especially feel strongly against one sister who is a member of the "We are church" movement. Coming from a sister, a nun...someone who has made it her life to defend and spread the teachings of Christ, it is disheartening and scary to hear her say how "her heart sank" when she heard Cardinal Ratzinger's name announced. How she felt pessimistic. I think girl, you're in the wrong place. How can she fulfill her duties if she does not believe in the highest member of her church?!

I have therefore vowed to defend my faith. I am now more actively questioning, reading, and listening to the religious and to my mom who is a member of Opus Dei. For the past month this has been the topic in the dinner table. I cannot standby anymore and just nod my head, avoiding debates with my friends about religion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter