Friday, September 30, 2005

In which we mostly talk about names...

I've been asked 'who named you' and 'what does Carmela mean' but never 'WHERE does Carmela come from?' One of our content partners (CP) in India came over yesterday. We were in the middle of testing an application and troubleshooting when he suddenly asked that question. I guess I had this blank look on my face because he repeated the question and then I guess to clarify the question he asked 'what is Carmela'? That even made it more malabo for me. There are a lot of answers to that...I'm a Carmela, Carmela is a person, blah blah. We maybe spent about 10mins discussing this and from that 10mins I learned something new about a culture.

This Indian CP (let's call him R) of ours has another partner whom I've also met a couple of times. This other partner is Canadian (lets call him S). It seems that my name has been the cause of confusion and discussion also between them. Apparently S has been asking and arguing with R as to why he calls me Carmela. R countered and asked him why he was calling me Ana. For the benefit of those who don't know me, my full name is Ana Carmela C. Gomez. Anyway, R answered that that is my name. S said that no, that's her middle name. Aaaahhh...therein the confusion lies.

The confusion is in the terminology. In the Philippines when we say middle name we mean our mothers' maiden names. So my middle name is Co since that's my mom's last name before. Apparently in India (I don't know if this is also applicable in other parts of the world) the middle name is optional. A middle name can be Stephen or John or Albert, R explained. R's middle name is his father's first name. So I was nodding my head because it made sense but then get this - in some groups in India a wife's middle name is her husband's first name!!!! So if you're name is Stephanie and you decide to marry a guy named Edwin Santos your name will be Stephanie Edwin Santos. That's weird!

Anyways, this is what I like about my job the most. Working and conversing with people from different cultures and different countries. So far I've met with Americans, Israelis, Indians, Singaporeans, Japanese, Chinese. It would be better though if I get sent to those countries also. Hehehe!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter